How to Apply for Financial Aid at the University of the Western Cape (UWC)

How to Apply for Financial Aid at the University of the Western Cape (UWC)

By today UWC NewsThe University of the Western Cape (UWC) has made financial aid available to students who are successful but financially lacking. This is how UWC financial aid works.

UWC has undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications available across 7 faculties. The 7 faculties include Arts and Humanities, Community Health Sciences, Dentistry, Economics and Management Sciences, Education, Law and Natural Sciences.

UWC has introduced financial aid, with the aim of providing higher education to students who are academically deserving but do not have the financial support to continue their studies. Students typically come from disadvantaged schools that resist adverse conditions and a lack of resources but have the will to succeed.

Financial aid works in collaboration with the various faculties and departments to help financially disadvantaged students.

Student services are provided by Financial Aid Counselors, based at the Financial Aid Office, behind the Administration Building (prefabs) on UWC’s main campus. Financial assistance is available to all applicants who qualify on the basis of the means test.

How to register

Documents needed to apply:

  • Certified copy of the identity document of all family members living in the house; and or
  • Payslips of both parents or guardians; and or
  • If retired, must provide proof of pension income (SASSA letter); and or
  • Bank statements of persons with income in the household; and or
  • If own business, must provide latest audited statements and, when new audit is complete for current year, may be submitted for further evidence; and or
  • Letter from bookkeeper or accountant; and or
  • Tax assessment; and or
  • If unemployed, an affidavit confirming it signed by the parent(s)/guardian(s); and or
  • If your family receives survival income from family, friends, community, etc., please provide proof and an affidavit confirming this and the amount(s)

The Department of Student Funding at UWC manages NSFAS funding as well as scholarships. This means they are able to help students with information about NSFAS funding, scholarship sponsors, or scholarship opportunities, if any.

Click here for more information on UWC Financial Aid